Prekindergarten Application Process Frequently Asked Questions
(Click on the Question for the Answer)
• Proof of Income
• Child’s birth certificate
• Child’s Social Security Card
• Child's current immunization (shot) record
• Proof of domicile (street) address
Proof of domicile can be a current utility bill (electric, water or gas), copy of utility deposit, lease, purchase agreement, or a rent receipt. Proof of domicile must show the current address and the parent/guardian’s name.
• Two current consecutive check stubs for each parent or caregiver in the household, OR
• SNAP/Food Stamps, OR
• An official letter from your employer stating the following:
o Where the parent/guardian is employed
o Hourly rate of pay
o The average number of hours parent/guardian works per week, OR
• Unemployment Benefits, OR
• Monetary Determination letter from the Workforce Commission, OR
• Statement from the Social Security Administration verifying that the child listed on the application is a recipient of SSI benefits, which must be accompanied by two current check stubs, OR
• Current foster care placement agreement from DCFS, OR
• Parent(s) who are homeless or unemployed must submit a letter of support and income documentation from support source
According to the funding guidance for the program, children may only attend the school in the area in which the custodial parent resides. There is no special permission in Pre-Kindergarten.
According to funding guidelines, each class can have a maximum of 20 students. All applications will be reviewed by district staff for eligibility, and parents will be notified accordingly of acceptance.
Acceptance into a prekindergarten class will NOT be on a first come, first serve basis. First consideration goes to those who qualify according to the Income Guideline (Answer # 2). Other consideration can be based on the following needs: Academic, Social, and/or Family Circumstance.
The program does NOT recognize provisional custody for the acceptance process.
YES. In order to be considered for prekindergarten next year, an application MUST be completed.